Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dreaming of an alternative

I'm up pretty late/early however you want to look at it. I am a pretty active person when it comes to organizing within the community but after hearing Andrea Smith speak at the Living Without Borders encuentro I've been challenging myself on a whole other level. How can I build coalitions in my community, how can I turn my activism into something that I can actually get something out of. I find myself obsessing to finish the next project (marcha, conference, org) that will hopefully bring me closer to my vision of social justice only to find myself in an activist fatigue. I feel no closer but further away from what I want and it can get depressing. So how can i use what "Andy" said and live the revolution?
There was another presenter as well. She goes by the name of Flor and she challenged me on multiple levels. This mujer spoke to me about letting go of the privileges I have in the western world. She asked us (those who are documented living in the US) to visualize ourselves letting go. Would we do that in order to create this "borderless world" or this "el mundo zurdo". I feel like she was asking all the question we have been avoiding to answer, consciously or unconsciously.
I have to change the way I organize.

No comments: